Join USAID at the World Urban Forum!
Leaders from around the world will convene in Abu Dhabi February 8-13, 2020 for the tenth annual World Urban Forum (WUF10). WUF10 is a high-level and inclusive platform that addresses the challenges and opportunities that come with rapid urbanization and its impact on communities, cities, economies, the environment, and policies.
USAID is organizing and participating in a networking event and a side event. Connect with our team at these events to hear the impact that USAID is making to work with cities on their Journey to Self-Reliance and to add your voice to the conversation.
Make sure to check back on this page for updates on our engagement at the conference and opportunities to learn about the outcomes from our sessions. To stay up to date on all things Urban at USAID, sign up to receive our monthly newsletter, and follow us on Twitter.
USAID Events at WUF
Sunday February 9th
#UrbanGirlsToolbox: participatory public space planning and design
- 12:30-1:30 pm, Hall 3, Room 15
- Side Event hosted by Global Utmaning (Global Challenge), Sweden and The Office of Land and Urban, USAID, USA
This session will feature key speakers from Sweden Global Utmaning and the USAID Office of Land and Urban sharing new research and best practices in planning and designing urban spaces with and for girls and women. Forum participants will interact with presenters to explore how to engage women and girls as positive agents of change through co-creation and partnership processes.
Tuesday February 11th
Funding Innovation: self-reliance at the local level through own-source revenue
- 4:30-6:30 pm, Hall 2, Room 6
- Networking Event, hosted by The Office of Land and Urban, USAID, USA
This session will include lightning talks from speakers from the World Bank, UNOPS, Cadasta Foundation, Urban Institute, and USAID in a World Café style set-up. Participants will engage in small-group conversations and discuss key questions such as:
- How and why should development agencies engage directly with sub-national levels of government, local private sector, and other community-based organizations?
- What challenges do cities encounter when mobilizing local resources and implementing financial management platforms?
- What does successful municipal finance look like?
- How can local self-reliance promote broader goals of social inclusion and sustainable urban development?